Friday, October 21, 2011

End of Week One

It has been a full week of work here in the Big Apple, and I can say, without a doubt, it has lived up to my expectation. I can't begin to tell you all what I've learned thus far and I know my true education begins on the 31st - when the Actors hit the stage for the first time.

 I started my day with my wife (she flew in for a few days!) heading from 181st Street down to 14th Street on the Express A train to return books (research books) at the Parson's Library and pick up art supplies for the Rigoletto model.  I went to the absolute coolest art store!  It was actually the store where Robert Rauschenberg used to buy his supplies back in the day.  Every paper imaginable was there for sale along with the greatest selection of paint, brushes, adhesives, art cases, . . . . OK, I am an art store nerd.
My job was to make a box to ship all of the hanging scenery over to the Metropolitan Opera.

When I returned to the studio, Christine's associate and I frantically finished the details on the presentation model for their big meeting tonight for the Artistic Director at the Met. I finished cutting out scenic units and then built a storage box for all of the hanging scenery.  The 1/2" scale model is gigantic!!!

The rest of the model furniture, people, etc.
 The Metropolitan Opera sent a driver over to the studio to pick up the model for this evenings presentation and Brett and I had to take the freight elevator (the model was THAT big!!) down from the 15th floor to meet the driver and load it in his pickup.  After we wrapped up on Rigoletto for the day, I headed over to the St. James to check in on Clear Day.  I met with the technical coordinator to go over some set and prop details and report back to Christine.  All in all, it looks as if we will be all set for Dry Tech on Thursday.

Me outside of the marquee
 Next week begins a whirlwind of juggling three large shows at the same time.  One at the Met, one at the St. James, and another at La Jolla Playhouse!  Some rest this weekend and time in the city with my wife, then back at it Monday morning.
The information I am learning will undoubtedly be incredibly valuable to my current, as well as future students - heck, to me as well for that matter!  I sometimes pinch myself to remember that this is an opportunity that I am participating in and serve an amazing role in the creation of a Broadway Musical with some of the most talented, kind, and supportive artists I've ever met.  I almost wish I could find a way to add this to my book. Oh well, maybe that's another book!

.More to come and in closing I want to quote one of my favorite movies, because I am: "Livin' The Dream, baby. Livin' The Dream!"

No comments:

Post a Comment