Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Early Start

I got into the city early (8:00 am) this morning to try to get a head start on updating all of the various groundplans for the crew members. We begin Dry Tech tomorrow and after that, I am certain my time will be limited. Please indulge me for a moment to share some of what I feel being here and working with these artists.

One of the most wonderful experiences thus far is just how excited these everyone is to be doing theatre. I think, as a full time academician, we get spoiled with having the opportunity to create theatre upwards of 10 times a year - these artists are never guaranteed another chance to practice what they love - I tend to forget that when we all struggle to "pick a season."  We should be so lucky to "pick a season."

While we were sitting in the theatre, the lighting designer was playing with his lighting on a select piece of scenery that Christine had designed and the joy and excitement he had when she walked in to meet with the production coordinator was infectious.  He was so jazzed to show how "awesome" the piece looked under his lights - and take my word, it did!  It's these little moments that happen with designers, directors, prop carpenters, and electricians every day that makes me grateful that I have a built in opportunity to create art each and every year.  Does it get tiresome? Certainly. Should I take it for granted? Never.  We are very, very lucky and should remember that every time we complain about another 10 out of 12 at the University Theatre.

Well, enough philosophizing for the morning - back to the studio for more drafting, soldering, gluing, cutting (hopefully more than my fingers. . . ) and living the dream. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment