Yesterday and today were both, what you call, baptism by fire. I was informed that all of the drafting that I would need to update daily during the technical rehearsal process was created using a program (VectorWorks) that I neither use, nor understand! It is similar to AutoCAD (which I've been using for 15 years) but just different enough that I was completely lost. Nothing like taking a shot to your pride when you have to inform the designer who hired you that, "No. I actually do NOT know how to draft using that program." Oh well . . . what 24 hours, a few trial and error attempts to convert the files to something I could use, and finally, a bunch of phone calls to a former student - thank you Shawn!!
I know that you're not supposed to be able to teach an old dog any new tricks, but this dog is getting it done! I have been spending the past 7+ hours playing around in the program with the occasional frantic call to Shawn and a shout out to my studio mate who is plenty busy working on Rigoletto. The good news is, I am starting to be able to feel about 78.4% confident that by October 31st (first day the actors take the stage), that I will be just fine. We shall see.
The set should be completed by Friday morning and then next week the lighting designer takes the stage for focus prior to our Dry Techs on Thursday and Friday - all day.
Another strange occurrence during our morning meeting at the theatre. I turned around because I was certain I recognized a voice from my past - long past. Like 24 years past. Sure enough, it was someone I went to undergrad with back at Stevens Point. She is an electrician in New York and works for the IATSE Local 1. I'm not sure she recognized me, but I think tomorrow I will refresh her memory. Small. Small. Awesome. World.
No comments:
Post a Comment