This is just an observation, but if the best smells in the world lie in that of a new born baby's head and fresh baked bread, than the odor and funk of the local A train at midnight is the polar opposite - enough said. Also, I never thought I would miss the express train as much as I did last night trying to get back to 181st. Twenty stops and 45 minutes later, I finally got back to the apartment. I certainly slept well.
The rehearsal went very well again - there seems to be a rhythm that has been established and we've now come to the end of Act I and actually started into Act II. We hope to have the entire show teched by Monday evening - if so, we may get costumes a day early (Tuesday).
I was able to speak with a cast member yesterday - Sean Krill - who is another very talented actor who is the stand by for Harry Connick Jr. We don't necessarily know each other, but I went to college with Guy Adkins, his long time partner who recently lost his battle with cancer at an age that, for lack of a better phrase, was way, way, too young. I was so happy to finally get a chance to say hello. This business, even here on Broadway, is so very, very, small and connected that it never ceases to amaze me. From a crew member here at the St. James that I went to college with some 20+ years ago, to a performer who's partner and I shared the stage in a production of A Chorus Line in 1988, I am constantly reminded that we are all part of a very intimate family of artists.
We begin today at 1:30ish with some more Dry Tech as the cast has their sitzbrobe. They, the cast, will join us after dinner break to hopefully get a good start on Act II tech.
I can't believe that I will be starting my final week in two days - this first three weeks has simply flown by. I have tried to absorb as much as I can so I can share the many similarities, and unique differences between what we do at the academic level and here at the St. James. What I will take with me is the wonderful memories of the great people I've gotten to meet and work with. I hope it is not my last time to work in this wonderful city.
No comments:
Post a Comment