Since July 15th, (my last post) my life has been, how shall I put it, unbelievable. The book finally hit the shelves and Nooks on August 1st, 2012. (I added the year in case I forget when I am old and stodgy.) Since hitting the shelves it has been one great moment after another. I sent out close to 60 books to many of my closest friends who've supported me through this entire process. I've also learned a great deal about people. Some individuals who wanted a book from me surprised me in the fact that I had no idea they knew or cared about what I did. Those have been the best! I've also had some unfortunate surprises that, quite honestly, are not worth the blog space to talk about. I'm sure, if given the effort and thought those who've surprised me in an unfortunate manner could figure it out. Sadly, they most likely will not give it that much thought, and so, on to the next fortunate surprise!!
The picture above is from our Faculty Retreat meeting we have prior to each Fall semester. My colleague and friend Morgan purchased a book and the, to my surprise, asked me for a photo with the book! This is one of those fortunate surprises I was talking about. I was so honored that she A, wanted a signed copy, and B, wanted a picture and was kind enough to post it on her Facebook wall! Thank you Morgan for being such a wonderful, warm, friend.
In the past 3 weeks the book has been previewed on a few websites, and has been reviewed by a Chicago website. I've posted the link to the review below because if I tried to explain how amazing it was, you may not believe me. Reading it was like having an out of body experience - I just couldn't believe he was talking about me and the book.
Review of Starting Your Career as a Theatrical Designer!!
In other great news, the Drama Book Shop Drama Book Shop has agreed to host a book event at their store on 40th St. in the heart of NEW YORK CITY!!! I will be doing a Q & A with Scott Pask, Christine Jones, and Kevin Adams along with a signing of the book. The event will be Friday, November 2nd from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. and if seeing Scott, Christine and Kevin aren't enough, I also will be providing wine and cheese so there's that! I really hope all of my NYC friend and colleagues will be able to drop in for a visit and a glass of wine. I will not be having any of the wine as I am running the NYC Marathon on Sunday following the signing! Yeah, busy, fun, bucket list weekend to say the least! In addition to all of this good fortune, I will also be doing a reading, workshop, and signing at a former graduate student's new place of employment in early October. Life is really, really beautiful right now.
All in all, on this, the first day of my 46th year on the planet, I couldn't really ask for much. If I did, I would certainly look a little bit greedy! Great life, great wife, great family, great friends, great job, great everything. I'm truly blessed. . .

No comments:
Post a Comment